Wednesday 22 October 2008

In the land of the Rising Sun

As anyone who knows me will be able to tell you I do like good food. I mean really good food. Myself and Mrs Brinkster have been fortunate enough to dine at some of the loveliest restaurants on offer and when I met Gordon Ramsay last year I was able to chat with him about the merits of Claridges evening menu having been there not long before.

One reason to enjoy living in Worcester Park is the multitude of food offerings available with more Italian, Chinese and Indian flavours on offer than you could shake a stick at, proverbial or otherwise. Add to that the kebabs and other fayre available pretty much everything is covered to some degree (although we have to go to Desperado's in North Cheam for Tex Mex if we're in that mood). For us on Brinkley Road they're only a short stroll away which is all too tempting on occasion but our kitchen doodlings do turn out some decent results as well, thanks almost exclusively to the talented Mrs Brinkster.

That said every once in a while I want some really decent food without having to slog up to Mayfair or down the A3 to Ripley or even Reigate or the other side of Dorking. Fortunately it seems as though there is a gem which while it isn't exactly in our midst it is a short drive to Epsom away.


Earlier on this year we went to a birthday party at The Rising Sun in Epsom and on the way in we glimpsed the kitchen and said to ourselves "We'll have to come back here". Well last night we made good on that promise and returned with a couple of family members to see what they had to offer having been enthused by the menu on show on their website. I plumped for a couple of the specials with crayfish and lemon risotto followed by pan-fried monkfish in parma ham and lastly vanilla creme brulee for dessert. Others in our group went for dishes such as the crab, crayfish and chilli linguine, the smoked haddock fishcakes but none could resist the prospect of the creme brulee! All in all the food was excellent,as were the atmosphere and the staff, and my portion of monkfish was surprisingly large so if you're looking for somewhere slightly special to go to eat then I'd recommend you give it a try and I suspect you'll go back.

I'll still be heading off to Drakes and others but this The Rising Sun is defnitely on my list from now on. Pub changes are rarely universally welcomed by the previous customers but if they took over the Huntsmans they'd certainly have my support!!
Lemon Tart

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do me a favour then Mr Brinkster and get your portly buttocks down to the Stephan Langton Inn in Friday Street (it's kinda Abinger Hammer-y way) please, I hear great things about it but get down there myself for a while due to a new baby! Where's this Worcester Park pub crawl that was supposed to be materialising then eh?

The Brinkster said...

:Andy
That was my veiled reference to "the other side of Dorking". I haven't been there yet as it was an option for last night but I didn't fancy the drive. Can you give us a quick review?? Have you been to "Drakes on the Pond"?

Congratulations on the new baby by the way!!

Worcester Park said...

Hi Brinkster - on the subject of sumptuous gastro-pubs in Epsom, I can highly recommend The Derby Arms, on Epsom Downs: http://www.thederbyarmsepsom.co.uk/food.htm

The Brinkster said...

WP:
Thanks for that! I've seen the place in passing but haven't been in there for a good few years. Is there a personal review to go with the recommendation? ;)

Anonymous said...

The rising sun was a better pub before WELLS YOUNGS got thier greedy mits on it

The Brinkster said...

Heheh. Pint of bitter?

I can't make a like-for-like comparison so can only judge it for what it is now, as much as Mrs Brinkster thinks that I have an opinion on everything....

Anonymous said...

You bet i am bitter. The Rising Sun was the Brewery Tap for the Pilgrim Brewery until the Wells/Youngs bean counters got hold of it. Now it is'nt even the best Wells/Youngs pub in Epsom,
The accountants truly know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

The Brinkster said...

I'd have to agree with you on about the bean counters. I think there's more to life than demonstrating "return on investment" :(

Do you think the day of the "local" is over as from my viewpoint as a very infrequent pub-goer it doesn't seem like pubs are the centres of local community in the way that they were.

P.S. Any accountants here want to step forward to defend their chosen profession?

Unknown said...

The Derby Arms?? Thats used to be a great pub then went downhill...has it got better again?? I always did like that place...

Anonymous said...

not being a beer bothered kind of person i cant comment about the drink situation, but i too went to a birthday party at 'the sun' - its obviously quite popular for parties as very willing to be hired out for the evening. the buffet that was provided, was not only different from your average pork pie and vol au vent fayre, it was excellent, well prepared, cooked and presented and frequently replenished. delish