Tuesday 25 September 2007

Slowing down

A lovely evening with friends for dinner down in the Hamptons last night. It's eerily quiet down there, but that won't last if the plans for the new bat-scarers wind turbines get approved. Sit there and say whoomp-whoomp-whoomp to yourself for five minutes if you want to get an idea......

Regular readers will have read my burblings on what I'd like to see in WP and while perusing the BBC News site today I came across a link to Cittaslow whose stated goal is:
"Cittaslow is a way of thinking. It is about caring for your town and the people who live and work in it or visit it. It is about protecting the environment, about promoting local goods and produce, and about avoiding the ‘sameness’ that afflicts too many towns in the modern world."

I'm not quite sure that joining the hallowed ranks of Ludlow, Aylsham, Diss, Mold and Berwick-Upon-Tweed is exactly what I have in mind but it makes a pleasant change from those places desperately grasping to attain City status by putting up swathes of shiny offices and shops (I think I'm channeling Bill Bryson here...).

Lastly, greetings to the number of people I see in the stats making their way here from the Worcester Park Appreciation Group on Facebook!

No comments: